Beyond the classroom



Photo credits: Kate Cardoz

Till I reached Standard Five, Margaret Cardoz was only ‘Mama’. After that I had to deal with her other avatar ­­– Margaret Miss. While being a teacher’s daughter got me a lot of attention, it also came with great expectations to excel. Once, a teacher of the secondary section asked me, “Who is Margaret Miss?” I replied instantly, “A teacher.” My mother had set clear boundaries for my sister and me. She said, “I am your mother at home. In the school I am a teacher.”

Each time I walk with her on the street, we meet at least three students who greet her with shouts of, “Hi Miss!”  She does not remember some of their names but never fails to recognize them by face.

 Her teaching career spans 25 years. Every year of teaching brings new stories to the dinner table. Stories that range from her misplacing an examination paper as a novice teacher to little notes written in the English paper saying, “I will be a good boy. Please don’t call my parents.”

Her portfolio includes teaching English, History and Geography. She ends up integrating counselling and guidance too –The beneficiaries are not only her students, but their parents too. I warn her that she is over- extending her brief and it may get her into trouble someday, but she pays no heed to me.

 Her kind, hazel coloured eyes and short hair make the students perceive her as a friend rather than an authoritative figure. She enters the classroom to comments like, “Miss, nice haircut!” or “Miss, let’s go watch Gully Boy.” They know she likes to keep up with the times. We watched Gully Boy together and now when the students sing, ‘Apna time aayega,’ She responds, “Maybe you would remember your geography answers better if it were in the form of a rap song.”

Bringing out the best even among the naughtiest student is what she strives for. At her dinner storytelling session, she once told us how two students were banging the desk and disrupting the class. Instead of just giving them a remark, she utilized their energy by getting them to play the drums for the sports day.

Years later, students may forget the Geography lesson she taught them but will not forget how Margaret Miss made them feel included and involved by going beyond the classroom.

Comments

  1. She was my teacher way back in 96'-97'... Was simply the best back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed she was also there for our 2010 batch. Taught us moral values and she was always like a friend to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - Did Ms. Margaret ever live near Raj Kumar (Andheri) and does she have a sister who lived near the church ? a bit confused - i had a class teacher in blaises...Ms. Margaret ...but that was way back in the early 80's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've come back here again because the story's just so touching. Also, teacher's like her are THE ABSOLUTE BEST! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. teachers*
      lol my English teacher would get mad seeing this

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When the teacher becomes a student…

A dentist with a sweet tooth!